Joomla Local Environment Set up using XAMPP
In this blog, you will know how to set up a Joomla local environment using XAMPP. You will need the following tools to install Joomla:
- Git: https://git-scm.com/downloads
- XAMPP: https://www.apachefriends.org/index.html
- Composer: https://getcomposer.org/download/
- Node.js: https://nodejs.org/en/
You can download all the tools from the given link.
- You have to create a user account in phpMyAdmin for MySQL. Follow the below steps to create a user account:
- Go to User accounts tab in phpMyAdmin.
- Click on Add user account and add Username, Password and Re-type password.
- I have set the Username as joomla and Password as joomla. Now, select the privileges and click on Go.
- You have successfully created a user account.
2. Now, it’s time to install Joomla. Follow the below steps to install Joomla:
- Inside XAMPP htdocs folder, clone the Joomla-cms Github repository:
git clone firstname.lastname@example.org:joomla/joomla-cms.git
- Go to the joomla-cms folder:
- Install all the needed composer packages:
composer install --ignore-platform-reqs
- Install all the needed npm packages:
Type the composer and npm commands in Command Prompt or Powershell, if you are using a Windows machine.
- You have successfully installed Joomla.
3. Now, it’s time to setup Joomla site. Follow the below steps to setup:
localhost/joomla-cms/in the browser, it will redirect you to
localhost/joomla-cms/installation/index.php, enter the site name and click on Setup Login Data.
- Fill in the required details and click on Setup Database Connection.
- Fill in the required details. Use the username and password that you have created in phpMyAdmin and click on Install Joomla.
- It will take time to install and click on Open Administrator.
- Enter Administrator login credentials and Log in
- Enable Joomla Statistics, if you want.
- For testing, please install Testing Sample Data and Blog Sample Data.
- After installation, visit
localhost/joomla-cmsin the browser.
Congrats, you have successfully setup a Joomla site for testing.
npm run build:cssto compile SASS files to minifies CSS files.